Friday, July 9, 2010

Afternoon in Colmar

Thursday afternoon after class, I went with a few people to Colmar - a smaller town about 25 minutes by train south of Strasbourg. It is along the "wine road." I tried a few wines, but not too many. Hopefully I'll get to do that another day. Colmar is the home town of Frederic Bartholdi, the sculptor who designed the Statue of Liberty. I believe there is a small one there, but we didn't see it. The Lauch River runs through the town and forms great little canals - and another "Little Venice."


It was a hot day, but not terrible. I really don't do humidity well. The facade of the houses in Colmar is really cool - there are cobble-stone streets and canal-side cafe's.


A cool staircase in Eglise Saint-Martin, Colmar's largest church:


For dinner, we found a little shop that's a lot like Noodles from home. That was fun - we could grab pasta to go for the train ride back. The signs showing what each dish had were pretty amusing.


A nice change of pace from Strasbourg - a cute spot. I believe wine tours leave from there fairly often. A random fact: Colmar was taken over by Sweden during the Thirty Years War, taken back by Louis XIV, annexed by Germany after the Franco-Prussian War, returned to France after WWI, re-taken by Germany during WWII and then reclaimed by France in 1945. This area sure changes hands frequently!

The next side trip is actually today (Saturday) - I am going down to Switzerland again, this time to Bern. Hopefully some cool things will result. :) I am pretty sure I'll be sleeping again on the train before too long...

No comments:

Post a Comment