Friday, July 9, 2010

Intro to Strasbourg

And I actually thought I would catch up with myself - hah!

It is currently a relaxing Friday afternoon. Classes this morning were followed by a pretty good lunch, an unintended nap and a dip in the pool. I am now sitting in the hotel lobby trying to come up with interesting bits to share.

Strasbourg is a lovely city. It's really comfortable, easy to navigate, great public transportation system, lovely parks and good restaurants. On our first day here - what was that? Saturday? - we went on a walking tour and got a good orientation. There is a beautiful section of the city called Petite-France - we're going to have a fancy(ish) dinner Monday night at a spot on the water there.


My favorite site is the Gothic Cathedral - it's huge and stunning. Notre-Dame of Strasbourg. Apparently it is the tallest medieval building. It's sandstone, so there is a constant renovation process as parts degrade.

The best part is that there is this crazy astronomical clock inside (I'm really into clocks this trip). It shows the position of the moon and sun and constellations and it's just crazy. It is supposed to show the sun time of Strasbourg - so that's about 30 minutes off time time. And Apollo points to the day it is. Very cool.


So - a fairly nice spot. We have classes at the law school here. They could do with a bit of AC upgrading. It's about a 25 minute walk or 10 minute tram ride from the hotel. People are generally friendly - only a few have been irritated by the fact that I don't speak French. I don't really understand that reaction, to be honest. I mean - I get it that Americans are silly for not speaking more languages, but it really isn't a personal flaw of mine that I don't speak French. I would love to. I can speak Spanish! But regardless...

Some of the old buildings are so cute! It's a really great area.


Alright - upcoming posts will include: walking to Germany, an afternoon in Colmar and having class with a Supreme Court Justice...

No comments:

Post a Comment