Saturday, June 19, 2010

I love the trains here. Seriously, can someone explain to me why we don't have trains in the States? I mean, we do - and far more on the east coast - but not like this. These are more comfortable than airplanes and make so much sense. Okay - enough of that.

I arrived in Nuremberg and was met by another friendly face (thanks Stephi!). It's so great having someone to show me around and share some of this experience with. I am glad I'm doing it on my own - I know it's "an experience" and "good for me" and I am very glad to know I can do this myself...and most of the time it's fine - but it is still great to have some company.



So, Nuremberg. There are many parts that have been cleaned up and made "cuter" for the benefit of tourists, but even so - it is really charming in parts. Apparently, Nuremberg is/was known for hand-made toys. There are still many little shops with wooden toys. The contrast between the old wall and the modern, new buildings is very striking.



There is a great old fortress overlooking the city - seems like it was a remarkably effective one too. Huge walls.


Nuremberg was bombed quite a few times during the war. Many buildings were re-built shortly after the war and many are still in the process of being rebuilt. Again, interesting contrast. I went by the place the synagogue stood - there is a simple memorial - the Nazis burned it in August 1938 - three months before Kristallnacht.


I wasn't able to see the court building where the Nuremberg Trials were held; it's a bit outside of the city...I did, however, have Nuremberg sausages (no, there is no connection) - fabulous little things! Much smaller than bratwursts - about the size of breakfast links, but oh so much better. I even had some beer - yes - I figured you have to in Germany - but it's not an experience I'm rushing to repeat.

The view from the fortress is great. There is a beautiful rose garden, and the gardens in general feel like something that belongs in a medieval castle.

After a wonderfully restful night in a beautiful apartment with family friends, I went to Bamberg - one of the few cities in Germany that was not destroyed by bombs. There is this great little strip near the water (the river Regnitz, I believe) that is called "Little Venice" - it really increased my desire to go back to Italy...I'm still resisting.


I only spent a few hours in Bamberg before getting on the train to Berlin. All the traveling was starting to catching up with me at that point - I passed out on the train for about an hour. For the last hour or so of the journey, I was joined by a group of 50-ish year-old Australians on a tour. I had a fun conversation with one of them - all of them who saw me thought that my bag (and I) was slightly crazy...I agree. I still say backpacking and school and court do not all go together.

Okay, it seems I was not able to write about Berlin, but it will happen soon. Maybe I'll even get to being able to write about the day on which I'm writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment