Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Amsterdam, June 26, 2010

And we made it to Amsterdam...


The train station is a really cool building. I'm really into taking pictures of clocks on this trip for some reason (I think I'll post a bunch of those pictures at some point) and there is a very strange clock on the station that I can't figure out. Does anyone know what it's doing?


We went on a canal cruise. It was pretty cool, but a ton of people and hot. We sat with two interesting men - one from Munich and one from Serbia. They were both nice and engaging, but the Serb was far more interested in talking than in listening to the "tour" - which, granted was not that fascinating, recorded and repeated every sentence in about 5 different languages. So I didn't learn much from the tour, but I did convince a Serbian man that some Americans were pretty cool. A good day's work. ;) When he asked me if I had ever been to the Balkans, I did tell him that I had just been in Kosovo, but I was careful not to refer to it in anyway that would indicate whether I thought it was a country or not. I have no idea if there would have been any harm in that, but I did not want an argument of any kind.


There were some beautiful house boats and tons of people hanging out drinking and smoking in boats. Seemed like a great, relaxing Saturday afternoon.

We eventually found this great little Thai restaurant. From the front, it didn't look like anything special but there were some reasonable prices. Then we went through to the back patio. It was so beautiful! Food was really good and not too expensive.


After dinner we randomly found two other people from our group. That was fun. We hung out with them for a while, wandered through the red light district (an interesting sight for sure) and after some very amusing conversations, took a late train back to the Hague.

All in all - Amsterdam seems like a large, tourist-oriented city. I got my key chain, saw some unique sights, and happily returned to a slightly calmer environment.

2 comments:

  1. Julie
    What a wonderful blog.....no I was not paid to say that!!! Saw your mom the other day at Cafe Sole. She was there to connect with you as their internet was down. She had a page of instructions on how to get on to the wireless etc. I had so much sympathy for her...us less than constantly connected wise and older persons need a set of instructions to nagivate all this tech stuff!!! And computers are so unforgiving.

    But your photos and narrative is just wonderful. Your a good photographer...but what else did I expect. Maia and Kira doing well. We are planning a trip to California in couple of weeks...camping and dipping into the sea. We will send photos too. Probably will not set up a blog.

    So hugs to you Jules...love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Please do send me pictures.

    My class with Supreme Court Justice Alito started on Wednesday. I had a chat with him after class yesterday about his views of restrictions on bullets. Today we are discussing the death penalty - should be interesting. I believe I have kept my comments respectful, but I am creeping more and more towards voicing my opinions a bit more strongly. It's a remarkable experience.

    I still have 3 weeks left - but there are definitely moments when I feel ready to come home. I miss you guys! I get back the night of August 4th. Let's figure out a time to get together before school starts again.

    My love to all of you!

    ReplyDelete