Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Istanbul, June 10 2010

Tonight is my last night in Istanbul. It's been a fairly crazy few days, but much fun. The mosques here are stunning. I think of everything I've seen, those are the most amazing. They pepper the city. I went on a short boat ride on the Bosporus tonight at sunset - a bit chilly - and saw just how many there are along the coasts. The Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia are stunning. I really enjoy hearing the call to prayer at least a few times a day. I'm not sure I could ever be dedicated enough to anything to do it 5 times a day (well - other than eat and all that other required stuff).


Something about the Arabic script I really find lovely...

Did I mention the Blue Mosque is huge??


The food here is great. So far I haven't had any food problems, which for me is rather impressive. Basically, I've been eating meat. Bread and meat. And oh so good. The smell of grilling meat is a frequent treat. I'd recommend coming here regardless of your food habits, but I would imagine it would be a bit tricky for vegies. Though I also recommend the apple tea - just go into a carpet store and it will appear.

The bizarres were fun. It is a bit tricky to go to those things knowing 1) money is tight and 2) anything I buy I have to carry for 2 months...but I got out without too much damage. However, I did decide (not for the first time) that it would be really fun to be rich for a little bit. I really liked some of the hanging lamps. One of my friends was quite taken with the rugs - they were offered an amazing deal, but seeing as they are backpacking for the next 3 weeks, they couldn't "buy today!" and ended up with a rather offended shop keeper. They do not actually mean "information only! decide to buy later" :) But that is the same everywhere. Oh, the spice bizarre was very cool - smells are fascinating and Turkish Delight (in the varieties I tried anyway) is much better here than at home and, so far, has had no negative White Witch of Narnia effects. I also found a huge lamp...I tried, but no genie came out...



They call Istanbul the City of Seven Hills...no kidding...but why stop at 7? They are everywhere! My legs and feet are feeling the workout.


Took a short boat ride on the Bosporus...I'm really a sucker for sunsets on water...


Great place, Istanbul. Would love to come back - and would love to see more of Turkey. People are very friendly and helpful. Interesting thoughts on Turkey joining the EU - everyone wants it to happen, some are more optimistic than others...personally, I have a hard time understanding how you can be in negotiations about anything for more than 30 years!

Okay - signing out from Turkey. Somehow it seems remarkably strange to say that I'll be in Kosovo tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment