Monday, June 14, 2010

Istanbul - June 9 and 10 2010

Some pictures - just a sample - there are oh so many more.


This is from the Spice Bizarre. There are so many amazing smells! Of course you can more or less get the same thing at every stand...makes you wonder why each vendor thinks that if he yells enough, you will decide to buy the same thing from him that you just turned down from the previous guy...

Me. Sitting outside the Archeological Museum. Very cool place...


Hagia Sophia (Ayasofya). Amazing. Awesome. Pick an adjective. It was the largest cathedral in the world for over a thousand years...or something like that. Church, mosque, museum... stunning place.


Again, words don't really do it justice. I'm not really sure what it is about mosques in particular, but I just find them beautiful. I get church-ed out far faster than mosque-d out. I loved hearing the call to prayer every few hours. When I first got to the Blue Mosque, we couldn't go inside because it was prayer time. There are fountains outside around the base of the mosque to wash hands, feet, face, ears...


My fabulous friends Cate and Trevor. We had tea (rather expensive if I remember) at a rooftop bar. Look one direction, you see the Blue Mosque; look the other direction, you see Hagia Sophia...and out in yet another way is the Bosporus. Great spot. These two are off spending the rest of June in other parts of Turkey. I only got two days with them, but that was great. Trevor was the only one of us brave (or stupid?) enough to try the fermented carrot juice (I don't know if that's really what it was - it was purple and had pictures of turnips on it)...but I missed the remarkable face he made. So they get this picture instead. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment